Friday, December 2, 2011

Christmas Decorating Mood

Not in the spirit yet?  I have to admit that I feel like I have already experienced Christmas and there's no reason to go to the trouble of decorating.  Last weekend I spent lots of family time and enjoyed every bit of it. Moma said that Thanksgiving this year felt like Christmas.  The funny thing is not one bit of Christmas decoration was around.  My mom, sister, aunt Janice and I shared time while baking pies and cakes.  The fun of it was the discussion of Grandma Millie's 7 layer cake.  Lorie determined that the 1 cup of lard was the secret ingredient.  Grandma's cakes really do taste different.  Aunt Janice even wrote down the recipe, borrowed a cup of lard and vowed to cook it for their Thanksgiving meal at Regina's (my cousin) house.  And she did.  I crashed their family meal  later that evening (because Aunt Janice said I could) and taste tested her cake.  It tasted just as good as Lorie's.  Oh, and the relationship time was the icing.

I have heard from lots of facebook friends that they are simply not in a Christmas mood.  One friend asked if it would be selfish to put up decorations just for herself.  She also replied to some others that she really wasn't in the mood.  I commented to her that it was worth putting it up if it reminded her of Jesus.  The ambiance that is emitted from the soft colorful glows lifts our spirits and that is exactly what Jesus does for us.  I am among many who may be celebrating the important day with only my spouse but I am also celebrating it with Holy Dad and Jesus and the Holy Spirit.  I will be putting up a few lights in the camper and a couple of little pre-lit trees out on my little deck.  You see, we don't have to let bland moods get us off track from celebrating Jesus--He is after all so very important to us and our lives.  Let's lift Him up, even if you are the only one in your home.

So--what keeps us out of the Christmas mood?  Stresses.  Homesickness. Financial troubles.  Family squabbles.  Bad memories.  Distorted thinking.  Loneliness.  Pain.  Depression.  And there are probably more.

All of these scenerios are very real and deeply affect us.  The fact is--these situations are in front of you, blocking you from enjoying life--agree?  So--do you want to enjoy the 2011 Christmas time?  Let's see what we can do about it.

We have blockages.  In fact, we nurse and coddle our blockages.  Perhaps it is attention you are getting from your affliction.  You  may enjoy self-pity.  Old bad memories play over and over in your mind like a tape recorder.  Pride keeps you from forgiving or asking for forgiveness of a friend or family member.  You come up with excuses for not getting out and meeting friends in your new town.  Changing the way you think feels too big of a task.  No energy due to depression.  No hope due to no job.

And friend, I have been there and done that.  I am no stranger to hard times, to anxious times, to distorted times.  A few years back God allowed my car to suffer an oil pump diaster and we couldn't afford to have it fixed.  At the same time Keevin's job was going down the drain.  We had to live in our camper because that was what we could afford.  I no longer had transportation for employment--and could't receive unemployment for that situation.  We moved our camper back to Murfreesboro, TN where Keevin was able to get a better job, but it took a while to recover enough to move into a rental house with our grown children.  Still out of employement myself, I had lots of time on my hands.  That is when God showed me the gift He had given me.  The gift of writing.  It is one of those strengths that comes naturally for me.  I don't have to do much thinking about it--I just start writing and it flows.  His word says He has given all of us gifts.  They sometimes appear later in life, though.  I share my story with you for you to see that hard times are also gifts from God.  It may take a while for you to figure it out.  It also depends on how you are relating to God about the situation.  I gave the hard times to God and He showed me the gift He wanted me to use for Him.  It has been one of the most fulfilling happenings in my life.  My writing has strengthened my relationship with God, myself, my husband, my children and the rest of my family and Keevin's family.  Keevin and I once again are living in the camper  but this time because the Lord led us to Boone,NC to start a church.  We hope to be in a rental apartment before too long.  God knows what He has planned for us and we are waiting patiently for Him.

Where do you stand with God?  Do you talk daily to Him with the first words out of your mouth being praises?  Do you read His word daily to hear from Him?  Do you actually learn from His word about problem areas in your life?  He has answers and advise.  It is the best advise in the world--oh yeah, He created the world and the way things work.  You'll be so in love with Him by experiencing the healing His word brings about.  With healing comes clarity, peace and the ability to accept love.

That clarity, peace, and ability to accept love will help you to be in the Christmas decorating mood.!  The next 21 Day Journal Note will help with the blockage problem--give it a try.

                                                     21 Day Journal Note # 21
                                                             Blockage

1 Corinthians 10:19-22 (MSG):  Do you see the difference?  Sacrifices offered to idols are offered to nothing, for what's the idol but a nothing?  Or worse than nothing, a minus, a demon!  I don't want you to become part of something that reduces you to less than yourself.  And you can't have it both ways, banqueting with the Master one day and slumming with demons the next.  Besides, the Master won't put up with it.  He wants us--all or nothing.  Do you think you can get off with anything less?

My eyes and mind have not been on You, Lord.  I have allowed outside influences to control me.  I find myslef encouraging and nursing them.  I am sinning and my sin is blocking You out of my mind.  Because of You and You only do I have confidence and strength to face my challenges.  I am comforted that You are holding my hand through this process and You won't let me fall.  Praise You!!!

end of journal note.  Hand write this note for 21 days to rewire your brain and to replace the blockage that is keeping you from feeling festive.  You'll start to feel the effects by day 4 but continue on to day 21 for full and lasting effect.

Ok friend, you have a big decision to make.  I have explored reasons as to why you are not in the Christmas mood and I have offered reasons as to why you stay in the blue mood you are in.  I have offered up God's solutions to feeling festive for His celebration.   It's the right thing to do and you'll feel amazing results.  Check out Isaiah 32:17 (NIV):  The fruit of righteousness will be peace.  The effect of rightousness will be quietness and confidence forever.---That's one of my faves!!

Now start your Christmas decorating, inside and out!
Sisterly love to all, Wynndy 

No comments: